State specific guidelines and recommendations :
- Provide the name of your practicing state’s organization, group or task force that created guidelines or recommendations for pain management therapies and education.
- Where you found this information (weblink):
- Overview of your state’s guideline development with web address.
- Locate federal guidelines and provide a link to federal guidelines you could use in practice as a NP
- Provide a brief overview of the group’s recommendations or initiatives (provide link to where you found information).
- Provide a brief overview of the guidelines published by the American Pain Society OR Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (provide link to where you found information).
- Discuss when the use of opioids is appropriate and for what duration should they be prescribed? Provide a reference for your response. (This question is worth 10 points. 4 points for when opioids are appropriate, 4 points for a safe duration of use, and 2 points for a current edition APA formatted reference.)
State specific laws on controlled substance prescribing for the nurse practitioner:
- Identify the law, rule, code, or statute that describes the advanced practice nurse’s authority to prescribe controlled substances in your state. Link to where you found law, rule, code, or statute for your state.
- What does the law, rule, code, or statute say?
- Conditions or limits on prescribing schedule I-V controlled substances.
- Requirements (if any) in documentation for treating acute and chronic pain. If your state has no requirements for this, confirm with a link of where you found this information.
- Are there specific requirements for advanced practice nurses to reference the state’s prescription drug monitoring database before prescribing a controlled substance? Yes or No
- If yes, what are they? If not, how would they be helpful?
State Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP):
- Name of the state’s program.
- Website for the state PMDP.
- Discuss the registration requirements and process.
- Discuss the standards and procedures for the access and review of database information.
State specific laws on medical devices prescribing for the nurse practitioner (18%):
Requirements (if any) in documentation needed to support order of medical devices or DME.
- Link to where you found law, rule, code, or statute for your state regarding prescribing DME in your state.
- What does the law, rule, code, or statute say regarding prescribing DME in your state?
- Conditions or limits on prescribing medical devices or DME.