Writing DQ Week 5
Must be new and original work and not duplicated to other students, in apa format, and must AT LEAST 1 additional peer reviewed source. Answer ALL OBJECTIVES
Over the past few modules, you have refined your critical reading and evaluation skills. In this assignment, you will apply those skills to analyze a list of Web sites. You will then need to identify parodies or hoax Web sites.
Remember that there are two types of analysis:
- Context Analysis: This is the analysis of the Web site. Examine the authors, dates, references, layout, etc. Look at the Web site address and domain. It will help you identify the strengths and weaknesses. Check if the Web site is an .edu or a .com. An “.edu” Web site is a top-level domain for education, and as of 2001, registrants to the .edu domain are required to be United States affiliated institutions of higher education. In contrast, a “.com” Web site is a top-level domain for commerce.
- Content Analysis: This is the analysis of the information on the Web site. Examine the bibliography, structure of argument, and frequent fallacies (i.e., appeal to ignorance, appeal to emotions, etc.). Look at the material to determine what is really being discussed. Use your critical reading skills here to analyze the quality of a Web site based on its structure, tone, and references.
Review the following list of Web sites, and identify which of them are legitimate and which are not. Complete the following tasks:
- Select one Web site from the following list:
- Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division. (2012, September 7).http://www.dhmo.org/
- Sims, P. (2009, July 4). Blind man sees wife for first time after having a TOOTH implanted into his eye. Mail Online. Retrieved fromhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197256/Blind-man-sees-wife-time-having-TOOTH-implanted-eye.html
- Slobogin, K. (2002, June 15). Liberated seahorse dads carry the babies.CNN.com. Retrieved fromhttp://edition.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/parenting/06/14/seahorse.dads/index.html
- Evaluate both the context and the content of the selected Web site.
Based on your analysis, respond to the following:
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the argument presented in the Web site?
- What is the argument all about?
Write your initial response in about 100–150 words. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Quote or paraphrase at least two outside sources in your answer.
Note that your response to this assignment will also be submitted as a piece of writing forM5: Assignment 2 for a review of your writing skills. Therefore, make sure your response to this assignment is logical, clear, and well organized. Also, proofread your response for spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.