WEEK 1 – FULL
- Family Support
Amatea (2013) suggests that socioeconomic status, cultural group membership, and family structure do not determine a child’s academic success or failure. Instead, it is family engagement that is essential for learning and development (p.7-8). Review the Parental Involvement Report Card quiz to help you obtain the perspective of a parent. Using one source, in addition to the text, list 3 different ways you will implement year-long family involvement in your classroom. Explain how these 3 ideas will encourage parent consistency in regards to involvement. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
Examine Table 2.1 in your text. The first column suggests traditional family/school relationships and the second identifies a more collaborative approach. Provide an example of a situation (attendance, behavior problems, academic difficulties) that could arise at school and suggest how this issue may be resolved with a collaborative approach. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
Assessing Other Educators’ Attitudes Toward Students’ Families
Read the teacher scenarios in reflective Exercise 2.5 Assessing Other Educators’ Attitudes Toward Students’ Families. Choose Teacher One, Teacher Two, or Teacher Three.
In a four- to five-page paper (excluding the title and reference pages) respond to the teacher you chose as per the following guidelines. Use at least three credible sources, including your text, and be sure to use correct APA formatting as per the Ashford Writing Center Guidelines.
In the first section of your paper, respond as if you were a parent of a student in the class. Summarize what you would expect from the teacher.
In the second section of your paper, respond as if you were the principal/administrator of the teacher and describe how you would sway this teacher to understand the importance of a family/school partnership. Include the following in your plan:
- Provide at least three suggestions to encourage the teacher to make positive change.
- Create a list or chart of resources you would suggest to this teacher. At least two of these resources must support your suggestions to encourage positive family/school partnerships. If you use an outside source be sure to give proper credit as per APA guidelines for crediting charts and tables.
- State three additional ways to support this teacher in deepening his/her understanding of the importance of a family/school partnership.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
- Read from your text, Building Culturally Responsive Family-School Relationships:
- Chapter 1: Connecting with Families: A Nice or Necessary Practice?
- Chapter 2: From Separation to Collaboration: The Changing Paradigms of Family-School Relations
- The parental involvement report card. (2008). Project Appleseed. Retrieved from http://www.projectappleseed.org/reportcard.html.
- The questions are intended to help parents rate their contributions to their child’s success at school. Research indicates that students are more successful when parents are involved in their child’s education. Use these 30 questions as a guide to discover some of the ways that you can help you’re your parents help their children at home and at school.