SCI 101 Phase 4 – Individual Assignment – Continental Drift Theory – A+ & Original Guaranteed!
Weekly tasks or assignments (Individual or Group Projects) will be due by Monday and late submissions will be assigned a late penalty in accordance with the late penalty policy found in the syllabus. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Scientific breakthroughs do not happen overnight. Sometimes, the missing piece of the scientific puzzle takes years to discover. In 1915, Alfred Wegner proposed the theory of continental drift to explain the past and present location of the continents; however, his ideas were met with resistance because he could not provide a mechanism for such movement.
Write an essay of 500–600 words that addresses the following:
- Describe geographic evidence collected in the last part of the 20th century to support the theory of continental drift.
- Why do scientists today accept the movement of continents but did not accept this theory back in Wegner’s time?
- Describe the process of the scientific method and theory development.
- How does the scientific method help one understand the natural world?
- What are the roles of qualitative and quantitative science?
- Describe how plate tectonics provides the mechanism for continental drift.
- How do plate tectonics explain the process of continental drift?
- How do plate tectonics explain natural landforms like the Himalayas and the Ring of Fire in the Pacific Ocean?
A minimum of 2 references should be used to reinforce your ideas. Be sure to include the references as both in-text citations and entries on your reference list. Keep in mind that your textbook can be used as a reference.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.