CHANGE LEADERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONS AS SYSTEMS
In today’s workplace, change is the norm, not the exception. In this Case Assignment, we will examine the leadership style of a CEO whose organization is undergoing transformational change.
Fortune Magazine’s “Top 100 Companies to Work For In 2014”:http://www.greatplacetowork.com/best-companies/100-best-companies-to-work-for.
Drawing on the material in the background readings and doing additional research, please prepare a 6-7 page paper (not including the cover and reference pages) in which you
1. Analyze the critical characteristics of change management leadership.
2. Compare and contrast this style of leadership to at least one other style we have studied in a previous module, e.g., transformational, servant, spiritual, etc.
3. Examine the leadership style of the CEO of one of the Fortune Top 100 Companies to Work for 2014 whose organization is undergoing transformational change. This can be the same or a different leader that you have examined from previous modules.
4. Analyze this leader’s style in terms of how a systems approach is critical to successful change management.
Keys to the Assignment
· Compare and contrast change management leadership vs. “normal” leadership, e.g., another style of leadership previously studied. A table may be a good way to summarize some of the key points you come up with.
· Choose a company from Fortune Magazine’s Top 100 Companies to Work For 2014 from the websitehttp://www.greatplacetowork.com/best-companies/100-best-companies-to-work-for.
· Research the company and its leader, and then answer the following questions.
o Analyze the leader in terms of their ability to facilitate change. Are they using / did they use any leadership styles you have studied so far in this course, and if so what were they? What were the critical elements of this style?
o What impact does this leadership style have on the organization’s overall ability to successfully navigate change?
o Based on your experiences and research, what kind of leadership style is needed to promote successful change? Justify your response.
· These are not the only things must be covered, but are the minimum. You are encouraged to go deeper with the assignment and use your critical thinking skills to ascertain what other areas are important in making a company one of the top ones in which to work.
Your paper will be evaluated using the following five criteria:
· Assignment-Driven Criteria (Precision and Breadth): Does the paper fully address all Keys to the Assignment? Are the concepts behind the Keys to the Assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
· Critical Thinking (Critical Thinking and Depth): Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
· Business Writing (Clarity and Organization): Is the paper well written (clear, developed logically, and well organized)? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included in all papers? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding to the Keys to the Assignment, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
· Effective Use of Information (Information Literacy and References): Does the paper demonstrate that the student has read, understood and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality (library?) sources? Do additional sources used in paper provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
· Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper end references and in-text citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all end references been included within the body of the paper as in-text citations?
Tips and Suggestions
Please note the following tips and suggestions:
· Include a cover page and reference page, in addition to the 6-7 pages of analysis described above.
· Include headings for all papers greater than 2 pages (basically all papers)
· Cite AND reference all sources that you use in your work, including those that you do not quote but paraphrase. This means include citations and quotation marks for direct quotes of more than 5 words, and citations for that information which you have “borrowed” or paraphrased from other sources.
· Follow TUI Guidelines for well-written papers. (Click here if you are unsure of what those guidelines are).
Submit your analysis by the end of this module.